Become a SCUBAnaut!
SCUBAnauts is open to students age 12-18 who love the ocean. You do not need to be a certified diver to become a SCUBAnaut, but most of our members choose to pursue this as many of our activities involve diving. Becoming a SCUBAnaut takes commitment. We recommend you attend a meeting as a family to learn more, meet current members, and see if it’s a good fit! We currently have chapters in Florida and North Carolina but also welcome you to explore starting your own.
Florida (Tarpon Springs, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Sarasota, Lakeland, Orlando) and one in Morehead City, NC, participating in SCUBAnauts International is easily accessible. Check out our calendar at scubanautsintl.org and join us for any of our upcoming meetings. There is no cost to visit these meetings.
If you’d like to see what it takes to be a SCUBAnaut, or you’ve been to a meeting and you’re ready to dive in, please download the documents below. They are in the order you should read them. And yes, you should read all of them. The process of becoming a scientific diver means effort and dedication and requires extraordinary individuals. The result is beyond rewarding. If you have questions about these documents, or want to let us know you’ll be attending an upcoming meeting, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCUBAnauts International also offers scholarships for interested members. First year scholarship includes open water dive certification for those interested and not already certified. Scholarships are available for students age 12-17 and are highly competitive. Click here to learn more or to apply.
If you or your company would like to sponsor a SCUBAnaut, a donation of $2,500 funds one student for a full year. Smaller amounts help offset annual scholarships and smaller scholarships for individual dives or events. Donations can be made by mailing a check to 1497 Main Street, #221 Dunedin 34698 or by contacting email@example.com
Start a New Chapter
Are you interested in creating a new chapter of your own? SCUBAnauts International will be there to help you along the way! To get started, there are a few crucial elements that you need for your foundation:
- Dive Safety Officer: Each chapter must have a certified Dive Instructor to oversee all dives, training, and record keeping. This critical role will ensure all Nauts meet the vital safety requirements before getting in the water. Additionally, the DSO will plan all dives to the safety standards of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences and SCUBAnauts International Dive Safety Manual.
- Science Officer: The Chapter Science Officer is responsible for delivering classroom oceanography lessons and assisting with dives. It is strongly preferred this member of the team is an AAUS scientific diver as the role will require the science officer to create and oversee the “wet science” of SCUBAnauts and the science presented at monthly meetings. An ocean science master’s or PhD is an excellent bonus.
- Chapter President: While this role may be held by either of the other two positions, it can quickly become overwhelming. The Chapter President will create monthly presentations in conjunction with the science officer to facilitate chapter meetings. Additionally, the Chapter President will assist new members to complete the onboarding process. It is a great bonus for the Chapter President to have a Vice President to help divide duties as they are logical for your chapter.
- Meeting Location: Meetings are held monthly. It’s very possible to find locations that will not charge for meetings. Look at libraries, churches, community colleges or local science organizations for support.
- Dive Site(s): In conjunction with the wet science, where will the Nauts dive?
Once you have found the volunteer people and places to support your chapter (because we are a volunteer-run organization), send us an email. Would you like a sounding board for some of your ideas or have other questions before you get started? Send us an email. We have lots of contacts in the scientific and diving communities, and we’re glad to help you with this rewarding experience to help kids embrace exploration through science diving. Really, send us an email: NewChapter@SCUBAnautsIntl.org.